Re: Active Software-based file replication

also sprach Chris Wagner <wagnerc@plebeian.com> [2005.03.10.0311 +0100]:
> U can use rsync to replicate the directory trees.  U can use
> something like BigIP to load balance between them.

I don't think this is replication in that sense. If the repository
is static, read-only data, or data only changed infrequently in
a controlled way, this may work. As it stands, rsync cannot
trivially synchronise in both directions (drsync can), and it takes
way too long and eats too many resources to be used often... and
you'd need that or else your changes to the files may be temporarily
lost as the load balancer decides to switch you to the other
provider for a while.

No, you want a replicating filesystem, like GFS (among others).

`. `'`