Re: Lilo + RAID1 @ root partition

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 03:49:13PM +0200, Nmap wrote:
> I have exactly the same problem than Dave in
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-isp/2004/04/msg00265.html
>
> The tricks that was mentioned in those posts do not help for me, still
> the same error "Fatal: map file must be on the boot RAID partition"
>
> My lilo.conf
>
> lba32
> boot/dev/md10

Shouldn't be boot=/dev/md2 here? Looks like it's your boot partition
and place where /boot/map resides...

> root/dev/md10
> raid-extra-boot="/dev/sda,/dev/sdb"

I never tested this option, but I guess it's for the same things
I'm doing manually. So if changing boot option wouldn't work, you can try
manual solution - I'm setting in fdisk the active partitions for both disks
to underlying disk partitions of RAID boot partition (sda1, sdb1 in your
case, I guess same can be done by -A lilo switch), and after that running
`lilo -M /dev/sd[ab] mbr` for both disks do the rest. I suspect
something like raid-extra-boot=mbr would do it for me automagically, so I'll
try it next time.

> Anybody have any idea what should I do to get lilo work? The goal is that
> both drives should have the same MBR, so if one of those fails the machine
> still boots and I can replace broken disk

Just don't forget, that it's still software RAID, so if your primary disk
fails, it can render your system unbootable anyway (until you unplug broken
disk of course).

Regards,
    Robert Tasarz