Re: control panel

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 07:49:26PM -0600, Micah Anderson wrote:
> Anyone know what the deal is with the pricing of plesk
> (http://www.sw-soft.com/) it looks pretty slick, but it is not free
> software :(

It sucks. Really. I've been asked to port something I wrote for a Debian
box I set up myself to a machine running RedHat and Plesk, and I'm
regretting it already.

* It requires you to do mostly everything via its (limited) web
  interface. There are overrides files of some kind, but they do not
  always work.
* Rather than using a system-wide configuration file with all common
  parameters, it writes all common configuration parameters to all
  vhosts configuration files, thus effectively blocking you from
  overriding them on a per-vhost basis, even if many of those
  configuration parameters do not always make sense.
* If you nuke one of the per-vhost configuration files and recreate them
  sensibly (or even slightly modify one of them), it fails over and dies
  in all sorts of horrible ways.

Its web interface indeed looks quite good provided you have a graphical
browser, but that's about it. Oh, and it only runs on RedHat.

Really, if you want a decent configuration web-interface, I can't tell
you what you should use, but I /can/ tell you that you should steer away
from Plesk. At all costs.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks