Re: gpg to a pipe

On Monday 03 January 2005 04:05, Antonin Karasek wrote:

> I make my backups by tar and encrypt it by gpg.

Are you doing this to protect the stored data or to protect the data in
transit (ftp)?

> Is it possible to send the file directly from a pipe? More precisely -
> gpg will write it's output to a pipe and ftp will read the data from the
> pipe.
>
> I tryed to do that, but I wasn't able to force gpg to write the
> encrypted data to a pipe.

An alternative would be to do things using ssh, something like this:

  tar cSf - / | ssh backuphost gzip - \|  \
    gpg --output /backups/whatever.tar.gz.gpg

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/