Re: Updated Debian boot-floppies for Proliant

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 01:51:00PM +0200, Emmanuel Halbwachs wrote:
> >The next step is getting the hp monitoring tools working on debian.
>
> Take a look at http://www.sk-tech.net/support/HPrpm2deb.sh.html
> It worked straightforward for me.
>
> This script fetches the RPM for RedHat on HP's FTP site, does alien,
> adapts some things for debian and eventually gaves debs.

anyone know if this has been updated for kernel 2.6.x?

BTW, i installed sarge on a DL360G3 a few days ago (a conversion from RHEL).
it worked perfectly up until the point where i rebooted, then it
kernel-paniced...couldn't find /dev/console.

i suspect that the kernel that is installed to the system, or the modules in
the initrd.gz, is somehow different from the one that debinstaller boots on.  i
fixed it by compiling a new 2.6.8 kernel on another machine, with all the
drivers that it needs compiled in, and without an initrd (personally, i think
initrds are way more trouble than they're worth).  they make it easier for
installers but they're a PITA for a running system.

after installing a custom kernel, it booted up fine, and then with a lot of
filesystem shuffling, i got everything that was running on the old RH system to
run on the new debian system - except for the compaq health monitoring.

one other problem, is that i can't get the kernel to detect the full amount of
RAM - it has 2GB, but it's only detecting 1GB.  I tried adding mem=1920M in
grub but that didn't help.

craig

ps: i've got 4 more to convert to debian over the month or two, 2 x DL360s and
2 x DL380s.  i'll have to figure out how to make a sarge installer iso with my
custom kernel on it (and without initrd).

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)