apache & log files

Hello,

  I have apache 1.3 webserver hosting about 150 domains (more than 400
  virtual hosts). Now I have separate error log for each domain
  (something.sk) and separate combined log for each virtual host (for
  example www.abcq.sk and new.abcq.sk). This has many positives for
  me: easy to find some data related to each virtual host and that I
  can make seaparate statistics for each virtual host. I use awstats.
  And now the bad side - the number of open files in each apache
  process is more than 500 just for these log files. It's no problem
  for now, but with more domains in future it will hit the 1024 per
  process limit of open files.

  And now the questions :)
  1) Where does that 1024 open files limit come from? Is it somewhere
  configurable? Or do you think it's totally bad idea to have such
  number of log files?

  2) Is it possible to have separate statistics for each virtual host
  with awstats and only one log file? It would be nice if certain
  virtual hosts could have different configuration of awstats. Now I
  use my script which checks all virtual hosts in mysql (from where
  also the apache config is refreshed every 15 mins) and creates
  config file for awstats if none exists. Then it runs awstats for
  each config (one after another of course).

  3) Or you maybe use some other solution to this problem?

       thanks

--
  bYE, Marki