Re: Mail Delivery (failure jcooper@planetz.com)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 03:11, Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net> wrote:
> Spam does not justify spam.  I have come to this realization myself only
> recently (I am, unfortunately still, a TMDA user).  I can understand that

You should cease using TMDA.  For reference I never respond to TMDA type
messages in response to messages I wrote, only if they are in response to
spams.

> many people see autoresponders as essential but due care should be taken to
> not respond to innocent third parties and mailing lists especially.

Auto-responders always respond to innocent people.  The only excuse for an
auto-responder is for a mailing list system (for subscription requests and
for notification that only subscribers may post to the list).  Generating an
automatic message in response to an attempted list posting is acceptable
because in the common case one person (the person who's email address was
forged) is inconvenienced instead of many people (the list subscribers).

> The fact that you sent your new email in the body as "johnc at planetz.com"
> instead of as a real email address is, I suspect, immaterial.  Spammers
> send to millions of invalid email addresses, they scan all webpages, list
> archives, etc. and look for anything that looks like a valid email address
> ... IMO x at y is just as easy to find and parse as x@y.  They will be
> finding you anyway.

Paste it into the To: field in a modern email program such as kmail and the
"at" will automatically be converted to "@" etc.

> > Coker, consider a private email, before publically hanging someone.
>
> When someone does something stupid there is value in making sure that
> everyone knows that it is stupid.  Knowledge is only advanced when it is
> shared.

Also see the several incidents in the past where I have communicated privately
with such idiots, been flamed by the idiot, then taken the discussion back to
the Debian list where it started.