Re: initrd in Debian kernel-image

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 12:12:30AM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> > Le mercredi 29 septembre 2004 ? 12:37, Gavin Hamill ?crivait:
> > > My question is... how does dpkg know that I need to load the megaraid
> > > module in the initrd so the system can mount / for init to boot the
> > > machine? I've looked in /etc/mkinitrd and seen the 'modules' file -
> > > should I just stick 'megaraid' in there just in case? Would this cause
> > > any harm if it's already been included?
> [...]
> The trick is getting the initrd right... Debian has /etc/mkinitrd/modules
> and /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf to tweak this... read up on the initrd-tools
> package, and note that the Debian kernel-image packages depend on this
> package to build their initrd images when they are installed.

i find it far less hassle to build custom kernels without an initrd image.

IMO, initrd is useful for a distribution kernel which has to run on lots of
different machines, but is a waste of time, effort, and RAM when building a
custom kernel for a specific machine.

just make sure you compile the drivers you need to boot in to the kernel, and
all other drivers can be either modules or compiled in (doesn't really matter).

personally, i like most stuff compiled in but have non-essential stuff (sound,
usb, v4l, etc) compiled as modules.

i like the networking stuff compiled in - every machine i build needs
networking so i see no benefit in having ipv4 or packet socket or any of the
other core network stuff as modules.

i usually compile various common network card drivers as modules - that way if
a NIC dies, i can just replace it with whatever i have handy or can get on
short notice and know that a driver module will be already on the system.

the basic rule of thumb is: "if i'm likely to need it to boot or if it's
essential for what the machine is supposed to do, then it gets compiled in to
the kernel.  otherwise as a module".

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>