Re: help with BIND SRV

On Thursday 07 October 2004 22:23, Nate Duehr wrote:

> - They don't understand that there might be multiple DNS servers between
> their top-level and the machine they're servicing (3X and 4X TTL)

Let's say that I have my local (desktop if you prefer) resolver (which I'll
call A is pointed to a caching nameserver B.

Caching nameserver B forwards all of it's DNS requests to their ISP's larger
caching server C.

Caching server C makes queries to the appropriate authoritative server D.

So the DNS query goes:

  A->B->C->D

D replies to C with a record having TTL of 3600.  C forwards request to B, B
gives answer to A ... TTL 3600.

In 1800 seconds the only server in the above loop that would serve a TTL of
3600 is D (since it is authoritative).  B and C will both have decremented
their TTL by 1800 seconds and will respond with a TTL of 1800 seconds.  A
should have decremented the TTL in it's resolver cache as well though some
applications and/or operating systems are buggy in this regard.

I have never seen behaviour that you are suggesting can happen nor can I
imagine any way in which it can happen.

We had a similar discussion not too long ago starting at
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-isp%40lists.debian.org/msg11986.html
... I never really followed up on that one, but I still believe you're
wrong ;-)

BTW, forwarding (to an appropriate server) is an excellent way to speed up DNS
resolution, I use it frequently.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/