Postfix/mysql - too many connections

Hello,

Recently I started noticing some database connection problems. I soon discovered that postfix was the problem(I have a postfix-mysql setup). I have max_connections set at 100, and postfix seems to want more at some times. However, i'm a little confused, because i don't have an large amount of mail running through it. I see a lot of forbidden relays from one particular domain, like 30 relays_denied per minute now and then, and the "mysql-problems" seem to correspond with this. But i've seem much more mail coming through and never seen this.

Any thoughts?

Greetings,
Robert