RE: Defining ISP?

There are a lot of ways to go about this.

I do a bit of research and build my own boot CD depending on hardware
requirements.  It has an update-to-date kernel with the support you need
for various bits of hardware compiled into it.  I've usually rolled my
own packages from scratch and grouped them depending on function into a
larger meta package.  An example...

I did some contracting for a service provider about 7 months ago.  One
of the main things they wanted was the ability to deploy new servers
that can conform to their standards quickly.  I had a base-conform
package that pulled down customised packages that were preconfigured
(pam, nfs, sudo and others) and removed a lot of crud it didn't need.
Depending on what the function of the machine I then did the same sort
of deal for that... so mail-server, name-server, samba-server,
radius-server, etc.  The mail-server meta package pulled down a version
of postfix with all the usual extras (clamav, amavis, spamassasin, auth
via LDAP, etc.)  The post install scripts finished off the rest of the
configuration by asking a few questions that it needed to know about.
This is a double-edged sword though... you usually take a hit in the
ease of upgrade later on.

Last I heard they have an administrator who speaks good Debian and he
works with it pretty well so it worked out well in the end.

Once you start getting larger you might want to investigate using
cfengine or something similar for large deployments and making them
conform to whatever they are meant to be doing.