Re: RAID-1 to RAID-5 online migration?

[no cc:s please, thanks]

On Sunday 12 September 2004 16.41, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 23:35, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder

> Machines that can handle such an IO load have faster CPUs.  So for any
> but the very biggest machines there is no chance of CPU performance being
> a problem for RAID-5.

You certainly have more experience than I - I was thinking about machines
where the CPU is already heavily loaded by userspace tasks, where the
additional load from RAID5 might be a poblem. Don't know for certain,
though.

[me being silly]
> If you read a single block from RAID-5 it should only hit a single disk.

Of course, big thinko. Forget what I said.

greetings
-- vbi

--
Beware of the FUD - know your enemies. This week
    * The Alexis de Toqueville Institue *