Re: High volume mail handling architecture

Citát "Ruth A. Kramer" <rhkramer@fast.net>:

> Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> > On behalf of all joe-job victims: Whatever you do, *please* do it in a way
> > that allows you to know whether mail is going to be delivered at the
> > front-end incoming SMTP server. (should be trivial if your user database
> is
> > in LDAP or some SQL db or whatever.)
>
> Is the point of the statement above that all mail must be delivered via
> the SMTP server, and then features built into it (disabling of anonymous
> relaying??) will prevent joe-jobs?

I think the point is in rejecting most of these email as soon as possible. For
this to work, the front-end SMTP server has to know your users. If it doesn't,
you accept these mails for further processing - spam & virus filtering, which
are CPU consuming and just after it your server realizes that there is no
recipient for it.
For the same reason I have some regexp patterns build into postfix body_checks
for most common viruses. Postfix rejects these mails immediately. This usually
catch about 90% of viruses, so I save a lot of CPU in virus checking of
incoming mail...

--
  bYE, Marki