Re: RAID-1 to RAID-5 online migration?

> PS: i wouldn't recommend software raid 5 if you care about performance.  i
> am going to convert one of my raid-5 machines (4 x 80GB barracudas) to
> raid-1 (2 x 200GB barracudas) very soon because i'm unhappy with the
> performance(*)...if i had a spare approx $600AUD, i'd buy an IDE raid card
> with at least 32MB non-volatile cache memory and that would give me raid-5
> with decent performance, but it's just not worth that much to me for a
> workstation.

Any tests on RAID-5 being slower than RAID-1 (a problem in software-raid
implementation?) ? I have always thought RAID-5 is the fastest... But I
suppose you will get a performance raise due to changing disks to more faster
ones (more volume almost always gives more speed, except for the cases when
that new volume is made by adding plates/surfaces/heads)

Dmitry