Re: whois.conf

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 08:47:57PM +1200, Jamie Baddeley wrote:
> hi,
>
> whois ships with a default whois server of whois.internic.net.
>
> I want to change this to whois.apnic.net.
>
> apparently this can be done by setting up /etc/whois.conf, but I can't
> work out what the syntax is. There's no docs, or any examples...I've
> tried all the obvious approaches.

"If the /etc/whois.conf config file exists, it will be consulted to find
a server before applying the normal rules. Each line of the file should
contain a regular expression to be matched against the query text and
the whois server to use, separated by white space."

OTOH you could also use the env variable:

WHOIS_SERVER
    This server will be queried if the program cannot guess where some
    kind of objects are located. If the variable does not exist then
    whois.arin.net will be queried.

Marcin