mysql refusing access from other machines

good day all!

i'm getting really confused with how to properly allow
users to access mysql from other machines. (on debian
woody, using all stable packages)

that is, i tried this as mysql root user:

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE ON my_sql_db.* TO
dbuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

after this, i can access mysql as 'dbuser' from the
localhost. the mysql servers ip add by the way is
192.168.1.1, and since i also want that user to be
able to access from 192.168.1.2, i also did this
command:

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE ON my_sql_db.* TO
dbuser@192.168.1.2 IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

that should have been it but whenever i try to access
mysql from 192.168.1.2, i keep getting an "Can't
connect to MySQL server" error.

im pretty sure i did this right, but it just wont
work. did i do anything wrong? what could i possible
have overlooked?

i even tried installing phpmyadmin and using it to add
users, even going as far as adding users with host '%'
but i just can't connect to mysql from another
machine.

anybody have any idea what could be going on here?

thanks!
shannon