Re: Outlook and Qmail

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 11:12:06AM -0400, Kris Deugau wrote:
> Craig Sanders wrote:
> > the problem is that outlook is broken.  it's broken in many ways but
> > this specific problem is due to the fact that outlook locks up when
> > downloading "large" messages.   it doesn't have to be an attachment,
> > if the message is too large, then outlook will hang.  i don't recall
> > exactly what the definition of "large" is, but in my experience even
> > medium-length messages will trigger the bug.
>
> Mmmh..  If it's inherently Outlook/Outlook Express, why do I have 3 or 4
> customers who seem to spend their time sending and receiving ~5-7M video
> files by email?

dunno.  large messages obviously aren't the ONLY factor, it's a combination of
factors - one of which is that the message is large.

> I've yet to find any one consistent "This WILL cause a problem" factor,
> although Outlook/OE are more likely to have trouble, and single large

either have i, but since it only ever happens on Outlook and OE, it is an
outlook problem.  the bug may or may not be deep within windows, i don't know,
but only outlook ever triggers it.

the closest i have come to finding a cause is the observation that it happens
on large messages but never on small ones.  my guess is that some buffer used
for POP downloading is overflowing.

> > the only solution is to use a decent mail client.  point customer at
> > mozilla thunderbird (IIRC there *IS* a windoze version) - nice GUI
> > [...]
> > "Anything But Outlook!".
>
> Indeed.  One minor advantage I've found to Outlook Express (please note, very
> definitely *NOT* Outlook!) is that it does a *very* tidy job of

it's just as broken as Outlook, it still has stupid bugs, and it is a security
disaster.

> > alternatively, get used to occasionally having to manually delete
> > "large" messages from the mailboxes of people who use outlook.
>
> Or directing them to the webmail interface and letting them sort out
> their own mail.  <g>

that works too.

> --
> Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!

with outlook, you don't even need to click on a message for a virus to install
itself.

the answer is still "Don't use outlook".

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

The next time you vote, remember that "Regime change begins at home"