Re: anyone tried ThePlanet.com hosting?

Hello,

I've had experience with both theplanet and servermatrix.com (which is a
lower-cost subsidiary of theplanet).  I've had a great experience
with both companies.  I currently have a debian server at servermatrix
and couldn't be happier with it.

I had some pretty specific (and probably unusual) requests for setup of
the server and filesystem layout and they handled them perfectly.  As
far as uptime goes, it's good enough that I don't even bother to worry
about it.  They seem to have enough redundancy and, more importantly,
seem to have more than enough knowledge on how to run things that this
isn't a concern of mine.

I've had a couple occasions to use their tech support, like when I hosed
the first kernel recompile as I figured out the right drivers for the
hardware.  In general they appeared knowledgeable.  I have pretty good
confidence that if something goes wrong and I need eyes and hands on the
console that they would be able to help out.  Just as important, they're
*willing* to help out.  The people I've dealt with have been
professional and courteous.

Naturally, all of this is based solely on my experience with both
companies over the last ~14 months, so your experience may vary.  Also,
fyi, I manage my own server so I have no experience with their control
panel software or any of their managed or partically-managed plans.

Steve