Re: What is GreyListing (was: Re: Christian Hammers...)

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:49:35 -0400, Alec wrote in message
<[🔎] 20040720134935.GC10019@thened.net>:

> begin  quotation of Arnt Karlsen:
>
> > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:48:36 +0200, Christian wrote in message
> > <[🔎] 20040720144836.112a037d@xeniac.intern>:
> >
> > > not a trojan-winXP-desktop
> >
> > ..how does these act, one shot, or all the time?
>
> Those act as a continuous one-shot deal; to put it another way, they
> aren't listening on any port for SMTP.
>
> > ..how are such Wintendos best shot down?
>
> Look at the originating IP, and mail abuse@ for that netblock, and
> perhaps submit them to SpamCop.  Mailing abuse works wonders sometimes
> - most organizations don't have monitoring tools in place to detect
> excess SMTP traffic, but more than a few have competent admins that
> don't like junk mail either.

..true, but there are also those spammer isp's with clueless wintendo
users.  These can be stopped with a bluescreen and a reboot message
asking them to take their Wintendo box to the cops.

..in civilized countries, this is a legally warranted way to stop
criminal activity.  So we return to "where, and how."  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: