greylisting

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 14.06, Russell Coker wrote:
> [...] Greylisted for 300 seconds... [...]
> [..] mail server is broken.

Russel, if there are arguments against greylisting, I'd like to hear
about them - so far, I've mostly seen success reports. (I like
greylisting because while the idea is similar to TMDA or such things,
it usually Just Works(tm) and users won't even notice it in most
cases.)

I won't say there are no problems, but so far these have been quite
marginal.
 - there are some broken mailservers treating a 4xx error like a 5xx
(this unfortunately includes some big corporate servers)
 - server pools which don't send out the second try from the same IP.

In postgrey[0], the first is being addressed by a growing whitelist
which is collected by upstream. The second is mostly dealt with by
greylisting by /24 networks instead of by single hosts.

greetings
-- vbi

(Oh, yes: no cc:s necessary. Thanks.)

[0] I maintain the postgrey Debian package, as you may have guessed from
the style of this email :-)

--
Kallisti!