Re: cciss vs IDE (was: lvm with raid)

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:40, "Marek Isalski" <marek@faelix.net> wrote:
> Russell Coker writes:
> > Having the OS on one disk means that a single disk failure will kill the
> > machine.  While you may have good backups it's always more convenient
> > if you can leave the machine running with a dead disk instead of having
> > to do an emergency hardware replacement job.
>
> I've not tried Linux's software RAID for about 5 years now.  How much does
> hotswapping a dead IDE drive kill the machine?  Does this at all depend on
> the IDE controller or can most modern ones cope with the abuse?

Physically plugging or unplugging a P-ATA (IDE) disk is not supported.  Some
people have managed to get it to work, but it required the type of
engineering effort that most people won't want to apply to their production
machines (IE don't do it).

If you have a hot-spare disk in the machine then you can have it take the
place of a disk that dies while the machine is running and then replace the
defective hardware during a scheduled maintenance time.

The cheapest hot-swap disk array might be to have the disks in USB devices,
USB supports hot-swap.  I haven't tried having more than one USB block device
in a system so I don't know how well this would work.  My USB 2.0 IDE disk
box can sustain over 30MB/s so there's no great performance loss unless you
have one of the newest and fastest IDE disks.