Re: lvm with raid

>   Is it possible to make lvm with raid ?? Is there anyone here that make it?
> thanks.

I use LVM over software RAID 1 (mirroring). I use Debian stable
and I decided that boot partition over LVM was not worth,
specially because of trouble in case of disaster recovery.

So my RAID is as follow:

 md0 : active raid1 hdc1[1] hda1[0]	Boot
 md1 : active raid1 hdc2[1] hda2[0]	Swap
 md2 : active raid1 hdc3[1] hda3[0]	LVM

Then I made a logical volume group vg0 and I put only /dev/md2
into. Finally I created two logical volumes for /var and /home.

So my mount schema is:

  Filesystem         Mounted on
  /dev/md0           /
  /dev/vg0/var       /var
  /dev/vg0/home      /home

Very simple. I also avoided initrd with a self-made kernel, just
added into /etc/lilo.conf:

  boot=/dev/md0
  root=/dev/md0
  raid-extra-boot = "/dev/hda,/dev/hdc"

I just have a problem with files larger than 2Gb. I can create
those files (.tar.gz in my case), but I cannot read them back
with cp, scp, cat or wahtever. The very strange thing is that if
I do "strace cp" or whatever, it works!

Don't know if this problem is related to LVM, I use Debian Woody,
lvm10 1.0.4-4, raidtools2 0.90.20010914-15. Other boxes with raid
and no lvm works properly.

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy