Re: Which Spam Block List to use for a network?

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 12:20, Russell Coker wrote:

>> This is a smarter way to do it.  Wouldn't you admit that the problem
>> is not from MTAs on dynamic IP addresses, but rather from infected
>> Windows machines on dynamic IP addresses?
>
> MTAs on dynamic addresses is an entirely different problem.  At one
> ISP I worked for we had a problem of people installing mail servers on
> their PCs as
> open relays.  It was decided not to block port 25 inbound, so I
> planned a scheme where the outbound mail relay would attempt a port 25
> connection to
> the workstation before accepting mail from it.  If the port 25
> connection succeeded then the mail would be rejected...

I agree with refusing mail from known open relays.  There are freely
available blacklists of open relays, current spamming addresses, open
proxies, etc., and they're valuable tools in blocking spam without
punishing the innocent.

The *only* practice I'm objecting to is using one of those blacklists
that includes every broadband IP in the world, most of which have been
involved in no wrongdoing.

-- Adam