Re: OpenVPN auf Debian unstable - wie?

Hallo!

[He asked wether someone had experiences with OpenVPN on Debian]

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:14:59 +0200 (CEST) debian@lists.onic.de wrote:
> wir wollten unsere Server, welche an physikalisch verschiedenen
> Standorten stehen, untereinander mit OpenVPN vernetzen. Roadwarrior
> Access ist nicht geplant, aber evtl. bald auch einmal denkbar. Hat
> schon jemand von euch Erfahrung mit OpenVPN? Wenn ja, wäre ich um ein
> bisschen Hilfe sehr dankbar.

Works like a charm, but:
	- create custom kernel (TAP/TUN)
	- compile OpenVPN from source (no problems)

FAQs/Docs are quite sufficient for connecting networks.

Beware of using static keys - removing one road warrior means having to
reconfigure ALL systems in the VPN. Use certificates instead (see the
excellent OpenVPN HowTo). For static key problematics see
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sn-20040415-grppass.shtml

Speaking of: I'm contemplating offering boxed "ETHERNET over IP" VPN
router/access devices (i.e. supporting IP, IPX, SNA, full DHCP/BootP,
etc. - obviously not using IPSec but OpenVPN) at a target price around
500 EUR. Thought and opinions to me in private mail for not to clobber
the list.

Thanks

Volker Tanger
ITK Security