Re: OSF for an ISP (was Re: ..idea; ddos spam hosts off Internet?)

Hi,

you shouldn't try to block everything that comes from a host which has no open
smtp port, this is in generel a bad idea...

reason: there are a lot (and I mean a lot) of servers out there, which only
sends mail out to the world, but should never recieve any mail directly, so
that it is okay to bind the smtpd only to localhost or to a internal lan
interface. Often there are other servers which recieves the mail for these
kind of setups...

The better way is to check against a real blacklist which has entries for
dial-up networks and maybe for dns-names without any MX or A entry...

for example spamassassin asks a lot of real blacklists and so it also checks
these things:

example  for checks against RBLs (sorry, it's a german system, but I will
translate):

- NO_DNS_FOR_FROM:
Domain der Absendeadresse nicht im DNS registriert (kein MX/A Eintrag) /
Domain of the sendingaddress has no dns entry (no mx/a record)

- RCVD_IN_NJABL_DIALUP RBL: NJABL:
Senderechner nur temporär mit Internet verbunden [XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX listed in
dnsbl.njabl.org] / Sending host is only connected to the internet temporary
(dial up)

and so on.... So in my opinion it's better to check against such lists than
simply block all mail that comes from a system without open smtp...

--Ralph