Re: qmail or postfix? (was: RE: What is the best mailling list manager for qmail and Domain Tech. Control ?)

Sorry about the attributions below -- I suspect they are incorrect -- I
didn't save some of the earlier posts in this thread, and didn't try
searching the archives.

Craig Sanders wrote:

Thomas GOIRAND wrote??:
> > Can someone write here an easy understandable configuration for
> > Postfix with virtual domains ? After some call for help here, none of
> > you that know Posfix did it...

I'd like to try to help (to write an easy understandable configuration
for
Postfix with virtual domains), but:

   * I don't know how to do it myself, so if we get good responses here,
I'll try to help organize them on a WikiLearn page.

   * I'm not even quite sure what virtual domains means or what they
accomplish, so I'll start by asking that question, trying to answer it
myself, and then asking some followup questions.

I suppose setting up a virtual email domain means getting Postfix to
accept mail (for local delivery) for an email address that is not
"native" to the machine hosting the email server.

For example, if I have an email server named myemailserver.com, but want
to receive email for an address like rhkramer@rhkramer.com, I then need
a virtual email domain?

Questions:
   * can I then also send email from rhkramer@rhkramer.com?

   * must rhkramer.com be a registered domain name (I assume so)?

Randy Kramer