off subject - ip & bandwidth management

Problem 1: I have a couple of sites, one with 30 users, another with 500
users. The switches are unmanaged. Occasionally, someone won't be able to
log in or they will loose a network printer. I suspect one or more PCs are
soaking up the bandwidth.

Problem 2: I work with a local ISP. He has his system subnetted BUT there
are still folks who find a 'free' IP and use it. When the owner of the IP
fires up his system, he can't connect. Also, as above, he has seen the
'steady state' bandwidth increase but can't identify the users. He has CISCO
switches and I would have though they would have the tools to identify the
user consumption. Apparently not.

Is there a tool for monitoring who is using the bandwidth and with what MAC?
I've used Ethereal but it generates way too much detail. I would like to
load up a notebook and a hub and stick it between the server and the rest of
the network or between the Internet firewall and the network.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Gregory Wood
Farsight Voice Data Solutions
1219 W University Blvd.
Odessa TX 79764
Voice: 432-335-0879 x234
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Wood;Gregory
FN:Wood, Gregory
NICKNAME:ChaosID:0234342934
ORG:Farsight Voice Data Solutions
TITLE:Owner
ADR;WORK:;;1219 W University Blvd.;Odessa;Texas;79764-7119;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:1219 W University Blvd.=0D=0AOdessa, Texas 79764-7119=0D=0AUSA
ADR;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;=0D=0A
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:=0D=0A
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:gwood@farsweb.com
REV:20030818T135319Z
END:VCARD