Re: Starting isp and going to use Debian

Nicolas Rueff wrote:

Anyway, my question is what software do most of you use?  Obviously,
we have decided to use Debian for our base os.  However, what do most
of you use for:

1. Webmail
Imp. Works well. Really.
I've had a lot of headaches with Imp. Imp relies on Horde being correctly setup. It seems that, every time I do an update of my packages to the latest .deb's, Imp and Horde break. I have to completely purge it, and re-install it... and that fixes it about half the time. The other half, I have to wait a few weeks for something to get fixed in Imp or Horde.

Sometimes, it's a clear error, where I get an error page about how it can't find some .php file in its path. Other times (most of the time, lately), it just says that my username/password combination we wrong and it dumps me back to the login screen.

When it works, however, it *is* cool... all the features you can set (you can restrict what IMAP servers the user can connect to, for example..). The newer Imp3 and Horde2 are even cooler, because Horde2 now has more cool PIM plugins, like the calendaring tool. However, like I said... it's broken most of the time on our servers.

Instead, I direct our users to Squirrelmail. It's more basic... but that's its strength, I guess. Less chance to break.

2. Imap/pop access
Courier, definitely. Virtual-user based conf.
I use Courier, too. I like it because it's one-stop shopping. Courier has SMTP, secure-SMTP, SMTP authentication, POP, secure-POP, IMAP, and secure-IMAP. A world of difference from having to use, say, Exim for SMTP and UW-IMAP and UW-IMAP-SSL.

- Joe