Re: qmail or postfix? (was: RE: What is the best mailling list manager for qmail and Domain Tech. Control ?)

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 11:34, Bjørnar Bjørgum Larsen wrote:
> I am in the process of choosing between postfix and qmail for our mail relays. I've not decided yet. However, I am surprised by the fact that many people who prefer postfix, also enjoy posting unqualified[0] statements[1][2][3] about qmail.
>
> If anyone have properly grounded views, please share!
>
> For example, I'd like comments on
> http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/Reviews/UnixMTSes/postfix.html
> and
> http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/Reviews/UnixMTSes/qmail.html
>

> [0] A _qualified_ statement would e.g. be "qmail is trivially DoS'ed by sending emails with no subject at a rate of 2 per second". Typical unqualified statements are shown below.
>
> [1] Michael Loftis wrote (about qmail):
> > First is, unless they've made design changes,
> > it's trivial to DoS.
>
> Really? How would you DoS qmail? Could the same attack be used to DoS postfix?
>
> [2] Michael Loftis also wrote (about qmail):
> > Second, it doesn't scale so well, but unless
> > you're talking upwards of about 3-5k/msgs/hr
> > you might not run into it.
>
> Really? Quoting Bernstein quoting Bill Weinman (cr.yp.to/qmail/users.html):
> "Our busiest list is about 250 messages X 1800 subscribers
> (avg mail deliveries: 450,000 transactions per day). Sendmail
> was barfing badly on this, and qmail seems to be doing real
> well. The machine is a Pentium 90 running Linux 2.0.13 with
> 64Mb of RAM. I have the spawn limit set at 100. I am *very*
> impressed."
>
> How was the qmail that didn't scale well configured? On what hardware?
>
> [3] Craig Sanders wrote:
> > ps: qmail is a bad idea.  postfix is better.
>
> Your conclusion may be right, but the arguments are missing. Would you please share?
>

> Thanks,
>
> :) Bjornar

Bjornar,

I have run them all at one time or another. We currently are running
qmail for our main MTA's but have postfix running on the sidelines.

I don't care to debate MTA's any more. Akin to debating which is a
better automobile. So I say, "pick a horse and ride".

Now that said, it really depends on your experience, time focus, OS and
hardware. qmail does the job, round the clock. So does postfix.

You mentioned nothing specifically about what you wanted to do with your
MTA relays ? Hard to help. qmail & postix will both relay.

Dee