Re: I/O performance issues on 2.4.23 SMP system

Thanks to all who sent comments on this. I did some more testing and went straight to the source for input.

<snip>
if you want to try the 4G patch then i'd suggest Andrew Morton's -mm tree, which has it included:

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.2-rc2/2.6.2-rc2-mm2/

i've got a 2.4 backport too, included in RHEL3. (the SRPM is
downloadable.) But extracting the patch from this srpm will likely not
apply to a vanilla 2.4 tree - there are lots of other patches as well and interdependencies. So i'd suggest the RHEL3 kernel as-is, or the -mm tree in 2.6.

Ingo
</snip>

Of course, as newer kernels are released, Andrew releases newer -mm patches. This patch set solved the I/O problem and let me use 4GB RAM.