Re: Still Considering Debian - But Stuck!

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 10:24, Fred Whipple wrote:
> I see that Debian 3.0r2 includes a nicely aged (like fine cheese) Linux
> 2.2 kernel.

While 2.2 is the default, Debian 3.0 includes the 2.4 kernel.

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=kernel-image-2.4&searchon=names&subword=1&case=insensitive&version=stable&release=all

It's available right from the installer - just type "bf24" at boot.

> Now I imagine it's
> not so difficult to simply compile a recent 2.4 (2.5?) kernel and go
> from there.

If you want to run 2.6, unofficial backports of the 2.6 kernel are
available from backports.org.

http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/woody/kernel-2.6/binary-i386/

And of course, you can compile your own.

> Finally, while I'm messing around with the kernel, I'd have to include
> support for ext3fs.
> From that point, how
> complicated is it to get the rest of the tools to play nicely with
> ext3fs?  I'd imagine that a large set of tools would need to be
> replaced, including e2fsck, mount, umount, etc.

It's not complicated at all - Debian 3.0 includes ext3 and all its
utilities right out of the box.  The installer allows you to format
using ext3 or ext2.

- Jon

--
jon@tgpsolutions.com