customer portal solutions

I'm searching for boxed solutions that would allow webpage users the
ability to maintain their own content beneath a main parent webpage.
I intend it to be in the same spirit of myYahoo--users can log in and
choose what content they wish displayed from a list of predefined sources
or bookmarklets.

An off-the-shelf boxed solution isn't a requirement, but it would be nice
to launch such a site as soon as possible.  The open source project that
sticks out the most is Plone, but I am still determining if it will fit
my goal.

A thread on this list back in 2002 with the subject, "Software for www
portal management", offered a nice list of project names.  However,
I thought it might be time for an updated list, and to gather other
user/admin ideas.  Would anyone mind sharing their experiences with such
a project?

--hank