Re: bandwidth accounting

Simon Buchanan wrote:
> Hi There, Im wondering if someone can point me in the right
> direction.... We are wanting to account bandwidth usage per IP in our
> rack.. Is this possible, if so - and good ideas?

Hi,

Other than ipac and ipac-ng you could also use netflow.

The only requirement is that you have a manageable switch which supports port/interface mirroring.

steps:
- install a server with two NIC's
- mirror the uplink port to the second NIC.
- configure nprobe to create netflow data from the mirrored data
- configure flow-tools to capture the flows and generate reports

The benefits:
- no need to install a linux box as a router running ipac
- no need to install ipac on all servers. (possibly customer servers)
- no need to aggregate ipac data from multiple servers.
- extensive reporting capabilities.

Added bonus is that it makes a nice tcpdump/ethereal box.

Regards,

Bastiaan Spandaw