Re: phpBB vulnerability exploited

better look at your php4 settings: limit with php opendir. make another tmp directory, and set php temp dir, with all permissions you want. limit the system function, if you don't need it. they are a per-vhost apache settings, check the manuals. wwell edi Fraser Campbell writes:
On Sunday 12 December 2004 17:46, Marek Podmaka wrote:
  I don't want to give hints on how to exploit this, but the attacker
did wget the .tgz file, unpacked it in /tmp and run the program.
  So update all your phpBB installations ASAP (and of course all
  installations of your customers).

On a somewhat related note ... I have the habit of mount /tmp with noexec,nosuid,nodev. I also mount /usr and /boot ro. These minor changes can prevent common automated attacks (probably the one you encountered) and don't cause any problems.
--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada Debian GNU/Linux