Re: MySQL Max connections?

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 11:47 -0600, Jacob S wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if this is the correct way to increase the max number
> of connections, or how to do it if it's not? I would try to test it
> myself, but it is a bit hard to do on a busy server and when I would
> need a huge number of connections.

Other replies have spoken about the max_connections mysql settings so I
wont repeat.  Just wanted to add some Debian Woody specific experience.

With mysql 3.23 (or a back-ported 4.0) the maximum connections appear to
be around 300, whatever mysql is set to.  This can be increased to
around 800 by altering the maximum user processes in the safe_mysqld (or
mysqld_safe in v4.0) script.  We simply added the line:

ulimit -u unlimited

However if you have InnoDB support enabled in mysqld the maximum still
seems to be limited to just over 400 connections.

Upgrading libc6 to 2.3 instead of 2.2 was the only 'fix' we found to get
the limit, with InnoDB, back up to about 800.  Of course the machine
isn't strictly Woody then though.

Be warned that upgrading libc6 (or especially trying to downgrade it
later) is not always the easiest of things to do!

Simon