Re: hanging imapd processes (was Re: Runaway processes ?)

Craig Sanders wrote:

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 09:26:34PM +0200, Uffe Pensar wrote:
I'm in the process of separating the webmail from the imap and I have have installed xinetd with
max_load and other limits.
But still I can't understand that i get those hanging imapd processes ?

# ps axu|grep imapd|grep root
root     22700  0.0  0.0  4064 1308 ?        S    Nov25   0:00 [imapd]
root     11359  0.0  0.0  4064 1400 ?        S    Nov27   0:00 [imapd]
root      6473  0.0  0.0  4064 1400 ?        S    Nov27   0:00 [imapd]
root      3801  0.0  0.0  4064 1400 ?        S    Nov27   0:00 [imapd]
root      6194  0.0  0.0  1752  732 pts/7    S    21:11   0:00 grep imapd

woody and uw-imap-ssl (those hanging connections are not coming from webmail)

there could be clients still connected from Nov 25 & Nov 27.  impossible to
tell just from a ps listing.  you can use netstat and lsof to see which
processes have active connections (or are listening) on the imap port.   see
the man pages for details.
yes from lsof I can that it isn't a webmail but imps-clients (perhaps broken ?). I was wondering why they never time out.

but i wouldn't bother.  uw-imapd is junk, and its problems are pretty much
unfixable.  that explains a lot.  i'd just replace it with something sane.

BTW, you chose the more difficult path.  instead of just replacing uw-imapd
with dovecot, which would have been a simple action with one isolated effect
(changing the imap daemon), you chose to replace inetd with xinetd, which
affects dozens or possibly hundreds of unrelated inet daemons.  why?
I visited the dovecot homepages and got the impression that dovecot was kind of fresh and that it would not take a mail-directory as an argument (our users have their mail in a mail-directory under their home-directory) And then I know of a bigger site then ours that use uw-imap (but with suse and perhaps a newer version then the one in woody stable) so I thought let's see if we can get it stable with a minimum of changes (xinetd, separating webmail and
imap and kernel 2.4.28).

craig

- uffe