switching to dovecot from uw-imapd (was: Re: Runaway processes ?)

Craig Sanders wrote:

- uw-imap-ssl (starting from inetd)

replace with something sane.  dovecot or courier-imapd for example.

dovecot works with mbox and Maildir mail boxes, courier-imapd only with
Maildir.  you probably have mbox if you're running an old sendmail machine.

it's a trivial upgrade - "apt-get install dovecot".

btw, both dovecot and courier support both SSL encrypted and unencrypted
versions of the protocols.  dovecot does pop & imap in the one package, while
courier has separate packages: courier-imapd and courier-popd.
Just a side-note here, I attempted to switch an old but lightly used server from uw-imapd that was an old Potato machine that had been continually upgraded to Woody to dovecot via this method and it didn't work. The reason appeared to be that waaaay back when mail directories were in /home/<user>/~Mail vs. ~mail and other things, hacks were added to uw-imapd's pre-inst scripts to deal with all the changes as they came and went... dovecot's packages didn't seem to have this level of intelligence in their pre-inst scripts. I just mention it because I never had time to screw around with it on that box, I just reinstalled uw-imapd and forgot about it... it was more an exercise in getting all the boxes I admin on the same toolset, but in the case of that box, it just wasn't worth messing around with that day.

Nate