Re: Debian for ISP

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:15:24 -0700
Omar <alienonearth@spymac.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>   I have just took over a network for an ISP that is running Debian, I
>   am used to
> using Cpanel/Whm and now I have to use the CLI.
>
> The ISP also provides Hosting services and it uses dbdns 1.03,
> tinydns, xfrdns, I am having problems with tinydns, as I use the
> add-ns and it worked for 4 domians, and then I can't add anymore?  Is
> there another way around it?
<snip - sorry, I'm not an LDAP expert>

Try editing /service/tinydns/root/data with a text editor. It's not that
hard to figure out:
Lines starting with + is the equivalent of Bind's CNAME
Lines starting with = are host declarations
@ lines are for MXs
' for txt records
. and & for dns records
(More info available at http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html)

After you're done editing the file, run 'make' from inside the
/service/tinydns/root/ directory.

> Also I am thinking of installing webmin, so I can configure everything
> over the web, if I do install it, will it recognize the current
> system, and the current settings or will I have to take things in
> manually.

I believe there's a webmin module for djbdns somewhere. A google search
should be able to find it.

HTH,
Jacob