Re: exim or postfix

On Friday 12 November 2004 07.47, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 05:12:34AM +0000, John Goerzen wrote:

> > >       4 ETRN
> >
> > Weird, people are just sending ETRN commands to you?

me too. One is a mail server of a respected company that is apparently
misconfigured, and has been for a few years.  I've written the postmaster,
I've written the IP block owners etc. - they just don't care.

I probably should flood them with bogus email when they call in next time,
perhaps that would make them pay attention... :-]

> > >      26 RBL Dynablock.njabl.org
> >
> > My own static DSL IP is on this one.  Lots of people have legit reasons
           ^^^^^^
> > for not using their ISP's sucky, crappy mail servers.

> viruses that come from dynamic IPs.
                         ^^^^^^^

Craig, you seen that? Dynablock seems to include some static IPs.

(I guess John is at one of those ISPs who mix static IPs and dynamic IPs in
the same IP range, or at least use the same xxx.dsl... reverse DNS.)

> > >    4779 User unknown
> >
> > I am stunned at how many attempts I get to send mail to non-existant
> > accounts, too.

40% former usenet accounts, 40% message-Ids, 20% things like
adrianvonbidderavbidder@fortytwo.ch or so; I guess mostly it's from web
harvesters that extract email addresses from mailing list archives etc. but
are buggy (or try to guess antispam-protected mailadresses.)

greetings
-- vbi

--
Oops