Re: Current status in antivirus & antispam / MTA integration

Hey,

You can simply add amavisd-new to your setup. You only need to configure postfix to use it, and that's about it. From there you can start adding scanners like ClamAV and Spamassassin. Since you want per-user customability, i suggest you take a look at "http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/README.lookups";. It deals with lookup maps for amavisd, so you can use for example a mysql database to store your preferences. Having seperate machines for outgoing and incoming mail makes your setup more flexible and powerfull, but it's also a little more expensive :)

greetings,
Robert

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

Yo!

I'll be setting up a mailserver here soon - based on postfix (let's not argue about that in this thread, please :-) and cyrus imapd (the latter because AFAICT opengroupware.org requires it or at least runs best with cyrus). I'm wondering how to set up my virus and spam defenses

- antispam: I know spamassassin works, and our mail volume is small enough, so the CPU load is not an issue. Where do I tie it in? One installation I did used a wrapper script for cyrdeliver to call it - mainly because I really like per-user customability. (I will use DNSBLs as a first line of defense, too, but I'm quite up to speed there, so that's not the topic here)

- antivirus:
- is clamav up to the task? (Additionally, all windows workstations have Norton AV, too, and I'll be blocking .scr/.bat/.exe/... anyway, so it's only a very few ZIP and DOC files that will be making it) - what do I use to call clamav? amavisd(-new)? Call it from the cyrdeliver wrapper? something else?

Any pitfalls anybody wants to caution me against?

(Oh, and: I'm toying with the idea of separating ingoing and outgoing mail on two machines - is there anything to be said in favor or against?)

(And another topic - TLS: is there anything in favour of buying a certificate for a mailserver? I've not seen any mailserver refusing mail on a self-signed cert so far...)

thanks in advance & greets
-- vbi