Re: What stripe size for mail server?

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 23.29, Chris Wagner wrote:

It's 'you' - three letters :-)

> If u still need RAID 5 then I would make the
> stripe size equal to average file size / number of data disks up to no
> more than 32KB stripe.

To optimize random small reads, it's best if a read can be satisfied by
touching only one disk, so large stripe sizes should be better - with your
avg file size, 8k or 16k stripes should be fine; even 4k probably wouldn't
hurt much.

Disclaimer, however: this is based on reasoning, not experience.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Oops