Re: Limiting User Commands

On 06.11.2004 00:35 Stephen Le wrote:

Is there an easy way to limit the commands a certain group of users
can execute?

Indeed. A chroot would only apply to a user if they were logged into
the system. Let's say I wanted to prevent users executing the command
"bad_command". Well, if "bad_command" was not available to a user in
their chroot, they wouldn't be able to execute it. However, a user
might write a Perl script that contained the following line:

system("bad_command");

If they got Apache to execute the script, the "bad_command" would be
run. This is the reason why I'm trying to approach this problem from a
permissions standpoint.

RSBAC could solve that easily, I prefer the RC module. Default is neither Apache nor the user is allowed to execute anything. Give the commands the user is allowed to execute a new RC type and give the user and Apache execute rights on that type.

Thomas