NFS-mounting crontabs

Hi all,

I am trying to set up persistent crontabs in a FAI cluster by using
NFS to export /var/spool/cron/crontabs to the clients, thus
effectively storing the crontabs on the server. I further would like
to use root_squash.

Using ACLs on the server, I managed to give nobody read access, so
now cron kinda starts up, but then reports

  WRONG INODE INFO

I think it's related to the fact that the ACL mask makes the
permissions appear as 640, which cron does not tolerate.

The question now is: how do I make this work? I do not want to set
no_root_squash because laptops could be used to mount the crontabs
export and modify away, subverting the user accounts.

The solution would be to for cron to setuid to the user of each
crontab file to read it, rather than making use of the root rights.
However, I doubt that this functionality will be included in
upstream cron, so it's not worth pursuing.

Are there cron alternatives that can handle this? Or maybe even cron
alternatives optimised for cluster use?

Thanks,

`. `'`