saslauthd

I am trying to get PLAIN authentication over TLS to work with postfix. I am having a problem with getting saslauthd (checking against system users) to run. /etc/init.d/saslauthd exists, but it doesn't do anything - if I want saslauthd to run I have to manually run /usr/sbin/saslauthd - clearly not the way to do this. The init script is completely dead no mater what I send to it I get nothing back - is it known to be broken? Also I have postfix-tls installed (testing distribution), this should properly use sasl2 not sasl, but it seems that it never finds my smtpd.conf, so it doesn't know to use saslauthd to check if the user authenticates - leaving me out in the cold :(

Suggestions on getting saslauthd running correctly and then getting this whole system working? I know I'm close but the errors/warning in /var/log/mail.log suck - they just tell me it doesn't work - which I already know. Thanks!

-- Andrew