Re: Why are company's not certifying Debian? - foo

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Rishi wrote:

> > don't buy ANY hardware untill you can answer those 6 basic questions
>
> OK. Will do that.

add "what scsi chipset" to the list since you "like" that stuff

> > or that the vendor says that it will guarantee that xxx-OS
> > will work on foo hardware combination
>
> What is foo?

point yor finger at any piece of hardware at yor fav pc store
and that hardware should work, esp if its not listed in the
linux incompatibility list
	- some wireless stuff being the latest bad-hw to stay away from

> I see your point ... however, the reason for this was to be alerted
> when the disk dies. The server is hosted in a Internet Data Centre and
> thus no one looks at it. I was hoping the pager would help us in this
> situation... but I guess not.

== the disk should NEVER die within reason
============================
	- buy the disk from a good vendor .. not necessarily the cheapest
	- install the disk and cables properly .. and cool the disk with
	fans .. hard disk temp should not be above 30C (check w/ hddtemp)

if the server is in town ...  you can have it email you
or another pc watching the server at the colo ..
	- and don't forget to have x watch y  and y watch z and z watch x

if the server is mroe than an hrs drive away... why bother ??
	- you're in a heap a fun ...

c ya
alvin