Re: Can we build a proper email cluster? (was: Re: Why is debian.org email so unreliable?)

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:26, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 01:05:26PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:29, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>
wrote:
> > > The third is to not use LDAP for lookups, but rather cache them all in
> > > a local, exteremly fast DB (I hope we are already doing that!).  That
> > > alone could get us a big speed increase on address resolution and
> > > rewriting, depending on how the MTA is configured.
> >
> > I've run an ISP with more than 1,000,000 users with LDAP used for the
> > back-end.
>
> Yes, but that was probably with the LDAP servers and the mail servers
> being in the same data center, or at least with a local replication.

Yes.  Local replication is not difficult to setup.

> This is not the case for Debian; and yes, we already do have local fast
> DB caches (using libnss-db).

That's an entirely different issue.  libnss-db is just for faster access
to /etc/passwd.  The implementation in Linux is fairly poor however, it
doesn't even stat /etc/passwd to see if it's newer than the db.  The
performance gain isn't as good as you would expect either.