Re: initrd in Debian kernel-image

G'day,

From: "Aurélien Beaujean" <aure@debian.org>
[...]
> Le mercredi 29 septembre 2004 à 12:37, Gavin Hamill écrivait:
> > My question is... how does dpkg know that I need to load the megaraid
> > module in the initrd so the system can mount / for init to boot the
> > machine? I've looked in /etc/mkinitrd and seen the 'modules' file -
> > should I just stick 'megaraid' in there just in case? Would this cause
> > any harm if it's already been included?
>
> The only way to have mageraid at boot time is to include it in builtin
> (not in module) in the kernel. So rebuild a 2.4.27 with the same custom
> options than your old 2.4.21.

Sorry.. had to correct this common misconception. This is not true!

The whole point of initrd is so that kernels can load modules at boot time,
so the kernel doesn't have to have anything compiled in. Provided the initrd
image has the required modules included, it will work.

The trick is getting the initrd right... Debian has /etc/mkinitrd/modules
and /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf to tweak this... read up on the initrd-tools
package, and note that the Debian kernel-image packages depend on this
package to build their initrd images when they are installed.

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/