Re: patch request

Christian Hammers said:
> Hello
>
> On 2004-09-17 Wieslaw wrote:
>> I seek patch which makes possible making the virtual ervers.

Debian supports this nativelly.
Search the debian archives.
apt-cache search vserver.
then subscribe to the vserver mailing list.
I've been using the debian vserver product for increase reliability,
easier administration,etc,etc, on my production servers for 8 months or
so.
make system cloning much easier, and system setup easier, tested upgrades,
etc.
If for example your running a software raid system, and a disk dies, just
rsync your vserver over, and stop the existing vserver instance, and start
up the new vserver instance.
Total downtime, with full remote recovery, perhaps 30 seconds.
This has saved my bacon twice in the last few months.

I've been using the vserver+grsecurity 2.4.25 patch to include grsecurity
with the vserver product for increase security.
Never had a system crash on the 5 servers I've been running for a couple
of months, ever synce 2.4.25 came out.
I say this is production quality stable, even under high loads,etc.
One of my vserver moves gigs of mail/ftp/proxy/apt traffic every day with
tons of users and it has trivial performance slowdown.
If you combine this with ha+drbd you can get active,active ha-cluster with
full failover, for automatic high availability clustering.
This is going to be my next alioth documentation project, assuming I work
on it for my job, which is the tentative plan.
(6 cluster HP drbd+ha+vserver+grsecurity active active debian cluster)
Exciting!
Ask on the mailing list and read the web page for more help.
Their is a lot of documentation on how to do this.

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman