RE: Defining ISP?

Comments inline, I've cut out a bunch of replies to make it easier to
read.

Check out http://debian-enterprise.org/ - Maybe work on that?

> > I think it might be easier to develop and maintain ISP specific
> > meta-packages, as Ben Lisle suggested? Would he be willing to put
his
> > existing meta-packages on the open market for community review and
> > maintenance?

Sure, I'll tidy them a little and repackage.  Keep in mind, they're very
"bennish" - the choice of software I use and the way I configure them
reflect the way I administer my servers.  I doubt this sort of thing
would benefit many other people.

> > Meta-Packages that reflect my deployments would include:
>
> The list of packages to be included should be disussion matter. In
> example some people love postfix while i rather like exim, but the
> global idea is, at least for me, include in the distro 2 programs for
> each need in order to the sysadmin decide which one he will use:
>
>    - web server: apache, minihttpd
>    - mta: exim, postfix, qmail
>    - imap/pop3: qpopper, courier, cyrus
>    - database: mysql, postgress
>    - radius: freeraidus, radiator
>    - etc...

How many systems administrators do you know that do things the same way?
:-)  At this level I doubt the ISP distribution would be useful.  You'd
be catering to people who want a quick setup and nothing else - so maybe
hosting providers.  I for one would not trust someone else's slapd.conf.

> A quick release in not as important as mantain your distro secure and
> fault tolerant. However, again i'm agree that is better to patch a
small
> package distro than a general purpose distro with thousands of
packages.

I'd rather see Sarge with better enterprise hardware support.  EVMS off
the bat, a good 2.4/2.6 kernel.  That said, see the link at the top.
Those guys need some more developers :-)

> > Other expectations I would have of an ISP friendly distribution of
> > debian would be a cluster friendly file system layout, and a set of
> > shell scripts for managing users, ftp, and web accounts. Currently
> > I use a layout along the lines of /var/www/domains/a/adomain.com/,
> > /var/www/usersite/u/username/,  /var/media/qt/a/auser,
> > /var/media/real/a/user
>
> Use LVM or help admin use it, ok! But inject script to manipulate
users
> or accounts is not a good idea. For example in my case i use a
different
> organization than your, organization that as you i love and i don't
want
>   to be forced to change it:

Build an administration tool for that - package it, submit it.  I've
been doing some LVS stuff at home and I wrote some simple Python scripts
to quickly build new Debian and Redhat servers.  Maybe something similar
would be helpful to server administrators?

Yep, those http://debian-enterprise.org/ guys could use your help :-)