Re: High volume mail handling architecture

I highly recommend reiserfs for mail system usage. Also a Cyrus MURDER can scale quite well when properly built. 3 drives aren't going to get you very far but i'd think they'd do a bit better than what you're getting now, though i don't know about your RAID controller.

As for MTA's I can't recommend QMail, sendmail, and postfix I can though. Exim also seems to be a contender. Again reiserfs seems to be king for spools. (lots of small files)

as far as your behaviour, it sounds normal for an i/o bound system, you can also watch vmstat output 'live' and watch for blocked processes.